Friday 21 March 2014

The time I was a rebel.

Yesterday I was told a story by a very elderly relation which seems appropriate to share with you.

When my aunt was about eight years old she came downstairs on Sunday morning and made the shocking announcement to her very God-fearing family that she would not be going to church that day. Imagine her surprise when her father replied, "That's a very good idea! Shall we go for a walk together?"

It was a very beautiful clear crisp morning on the North Kent beaches. There was a footpath leading out towards the sea which was possible over the sands if you took great care and had a guide prepared to hold your hand and come with you.
Ninety years later and now almost entirely blind, that walk could still be recalled precisely. For a whole morning she had been alone with her father. Even now she could still experience what it felt like and knew that she was loved.

I do not know how long my aunt remained a rebel. It may have been for only a morning. She has been to church for as long as I have known her.

No comments:

Post a Comment